Thursday, January 26, 2006

More Palestinian Election Reaction

NYT has added a bit to their prevoius article mentioned in this entry. Some interesting further reaction from both governments.

While Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei resigned just before the announcment of the elections, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, whose job remains intact despite the Hamas victory in Parlimentary elections, will continue to serve.
"I am committed to implementing the program on which you elected me a year ago," he said. "It is a program based on negotiations and peaceful settlement with Israel."
And, despite all the celebration, not everyone's so peachy keen about all this Hamas in charge business.
In Gaza City, however, Kamilia Barghouti, 26, a waitress, said she was in shock. "I'm worried about the way this victory will affect how I can dress in public, and even if it will affect where I can work," she said."
I would be worried if I were you too.